Established in 1986 and
still galloping ahead of the herds...
Booking an AAC safari is more than just game viewing; there is purpose to making a difference! We are very involved in many African communities, giving back to conservation projects, and supporting guides at grass roots level. We are especially thrilled to assist students’ education as it is our hope they will continue in the wildlife, conservation or tourism field. Let us arrange a visit to these projects on your safari travels.
• Tanzania schools and orphanage: Our clients traveling to Tanzania are incredibly generous! Three schools that are visited on safari include Teneguru in Arusha, Tarangire Park School and Rhotia Primary School near Karatu/Gibb’s Farm. Many times our clients ask to make donations in monies or supplies before they travel on their return. AAC will match the amount and arranged for supplies to reach the students if clients can get them to Arusha. Because of our charitable work, the Tanzania Tourist Board gave us their Tour Operator Humanitarian Award.
• Tanzania scholarships: For 2014 we have continued a scholarship fund for over 35 children of the Tanzania guides who take our clients out on safari. There are also client opportunities to pledge starting at $400.00 for a student in school for a year.
• Tanzania guides: We run an annual Guide of the Year award. For 2013 the winners are Ephata Lotashau and Hillary Mandia. The rookie of the year was George Mollel.
• Kenya scholarships: Providing an education to a child in Africa is something magical. AAC has an ongoing sponsorship commitment of four years for school students in High School. We have also started in 2013, a camp hand from Tortilis Camp attending college in Nairobi and we cover the cost of tuition and boarding for 4 years.
• Zimbabwe scholarships: Paying for tuition needs is a priority for AAC. Through Children in the Wilderness we are sponsoring several girls through their boarding at High School. If you are interested in donating directly to a child, we would be delighted to match you with a needy participant in two schools around Victoria Falls - Chamabonda and Chinotimba. Further afield are Monde and Tsholoto schools. Typically sponsorship is $1500 for high school.
• Zimbabwe schools: At this time of January 2014 we continue to sponsor children at three schools near Hwange, our main focus being Ziga school. $4.00 a month feeds each child a meal a day when at school getting their education. Our annual donation of $10,000 has gone along way to the Children in the Wilderness program, which allows under-privileged children a chance to participate in conservation. www.childreninthewilderness.com.
• Zimbabwe Mana Pools Bushlife Conservancy: If you have stayed in Vundu Tented Camp or canoed the Zambezi River, then you've met Nick and Desiree Murray. For over 10 years they have dedicated their lives to preserving the wildlife and integrity of Mana Pools. We give a yearly donation to their Bushlife Conservancy for the ongoing work with the park rangers. They now are working with Wild Dog research so please join one of their 2014 workshops.
• Botswana guides: We sponsor the opportunity for camp guides to work up their specialist knowledge providing them with private guiding opportunities with our lucky clients through the year. For 2014 it continues to be Brookes Kamanakao, Obonye Komela and Ndebo Tongwane.
• Wilderness Safaris Trust: We are major supporters of Wilderness Safaris in Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia and South Africa. Beyond the outstanding safari experience they deliver, we know that for every bed night we book with them a portion of the price goes to the Wilderness Safaris Wildlife Trust. For over 15 years, the Trust has managed a variety of research and education projects in southern Africa – everything from saving endangered wildlife to educating local communities. www.wildernesstrust.com/trust/main.jsp.
• Cape Town orphanage/community: Contact us to set up a tour for you during your time in Cape Town. We have been supporting an ongoing community project, Iliso Care Society.