Gibb's Farm is a charming lodge that has retained the atmosphere of a working farm that is located between Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Conservation area. Gibbs Farm is a real slice of old Africa, a genuine colonial farmhouse.
Gibbs Farm is for people who are coming on safari to see Africa, not just to see animals. Here you will see the great landscapes, the red roads, the beautiful farmlands, the villages and the people. There are 8 standard cottages and 14 new cottages, each with ensuite bathrooms set among the gardens. The main facilities, consist of a sitting room, reading room, dining room (which serves fresh, home-cooked meals), bar and gift shop and are situated in the old farmhouse.
Activities arranged from the lodge include:
1) A walk to the top of a nearby waterfall and also see the caves made by elephants. This guided walk takes about two hours and often you may see wildlife and a multitude of birds in the forest.
2) A hike to the local village and Tloma Primary School.
3) A guided farm and garden walks through the organic vegetable garden, coffee plantation and dairy.
4) A Tanzania culture visit the Makonde Carving Studio and the Iraqw Cultural Center (if time permits).
5) For those who want a longer hike, we can arrange to walk from Gibbs Farm to the Ngorongoro Crater Rim. Guided by a Gibb’s Farm naturalist and rangers from Ngorongoro Conservation Area, this exciting 6-7 hour wilderness walk takes you to awe-inspiring, untouched forests where you will encounter unique plant life, animals and rare birds. Starting at Gibb’s Farm, you hike to the Ngorongoro Forest and ascend the slopes to the crater rim, with magnificent views of the crater floor below. Walk availability is subject to track and weather conditions. Your private guide and vehicle will meet and pick you up.